fi’zi:k Antares 00 Saddle Review

fi’zi:k Antares 00 Saddle Review


Saddles are a personal item and a critical part of any cyclists ride experience. I think that cyclists are never entirely satisfied with their saddles, so, it is probably a never ending quest to find a better saddle. I have been riding a Bontrager Paradigm XXX Carbon Fiber Road saddle for three years. I liked the way that it flexed when the bike hit bumps on the road, absorbing some of the road shocks. However, the saddle padding was really thin. For the first two minutes of a ride, the thinness of the padding would cause a little discomfort with my sit bones before I would settle into the ride. And after my accident, I noticed that the saddle had hit the road, and the clear coat on the carbon rails was now gone. I have no way to connect the accident with the condition of the rails, and the Trek customer rep said that the saddle was fine.

However, I have had my eye on fi’zi:k saddles for a while. It seemed like many pro cyclists were using them. However, this could be because fi’zi:k has a big marketing budget that allows the company to push the saddles onto various pro cycling teams. I studied them in the local bike shops, and I liked the extra amount of padding the saddles had. I rode a Colnago C60 with a fi’zi:k saddle installed and the saddle was comfortable during the demo ride.
I also found the fi’zi:k Spine Concept interesting. fi’zi:k has designed three saddle types, Snake, Chameleon, and Bull. These types are based on the cyclist’s flexibility. Snakes can touch their toes or the floor. Chameleons can reach their shins and Bulls can reach their knees. You can clearly see the differences in the saddles. The saddles designed for Snakes are flat, forward and back and side to side.
I bought a fi’zi:k Antares 00 saddle from Amazon, which was on discount since it was returned.After over 100 miles of riding, the saddle has performed very well.
The saddle rail design does
accommodate the fizik
Integrated Clip System, ICS
The extra padding is a little more that a few millimeters deeper than the Bontrager saddle, but the difference in comfort has been remarkable. I don’t have any discomfort in the initial parts of the ride anymore. The saddle is flatter than the Bontrager saddle, which means that I have to pay a little more attention to sitting properly on the saddle. The saddle does not have a channel down the middle like many other saddles have today.
The specifications are:
Shell: Full Carbon double shell construction Wingflex
The double carbon shell is made up of a thin layer of foam sandwiched between two layers of carbon fiber. The Wingflex areas on the saddle are flexible portions of the forward sides of the saddle, which helps reduce pressure on my thighs.
Rail: Mobius Carbon 7x9 mm
A squarish rail system, which might require a different seat clamp. Fortunately, my Bontrager seat clamp fit.
Cover: Black Microtex 00 Design
Weight: 140 g
Like most carbon fiber saddles, this saddle is extremely light.
Dimensions: 274 mm long and 142 mm wide
Pay attention to the 142 mm width. You should know what width saddle is right for you.

The saddles are made in Italy, and the MSRP is $320, but you can find it for less.

Comments